Best Bicep Workout: 10 Bodybuilding Moves To Get Eye-Popping Biceps
Biceps are the toughest muscles to build because of the number of reps needed. The best bicep workout uses one basic movement in succession and that is the curl. These ten workouts will help create variety in your routine and will still help you achieve those attractive muscles.
1. Standing Barbell Curl
This best bicep workout builds muscles fast. It allows the upper arm to do all lifting and there is no way you can cheat. Regardless of how heavy the plates are, this isolation workout is guaranteed to make your biceps grow bigger and thicker. Try these steps.
- Stand up straight and hold the barbell in both hands.
- Keep your upper arms steady and slowly lift the weights until the bar is at shoulder level.
- Slowly bring back the barbell to its original position. Do this for 12 reps in 3 sets.
2. Alternating Dumbbell Curl
This is a combination of a standard curl and a hammer curl. The alternating movement gives a thorough attention to each bicep. You can build up the intensity by adding more repetitions to each set in either standing or sitting position. Follow these simple steps.
- Stand with your feet apart and knees slightly bent.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lock your elbows at the side.
- Curl one dumbbell up to the shoulder level and bring it back to the starting position. Do this for 8 reps per set for each arm.
3. Supinated Bent Rows
Rowing tears the biceps allowing the muscles to grow rapidly. You can increase the weight on the next set if you can do the current routine easily. The purpose here is to tear the biceps by straining it more during the bending position. Try these steps.
- Grab a barbell with two hands then bend in a position where your upper body is parallel to the floor.
- Lift the bar towards your abdomen while maintaining your elbows tucked to your flanks.
- Slowly lower the bar and repeat for 8 counts in 2 sets.
4. Close Grip Chin Ups
This workout curls the biceps using the entire body weight. It focuses on pulling up the body upward using a lateral bar. The method puts the muscles to a greater tension using the shoulder extensions for strength. Here is how to do it:
- Firmly grip the chin up bar with your palms 6- 8 inches apart then cross your feet.
- Pull your body upwards until your chin reaches the bar. Hold for 2 -3 seconds.
- Return to the hanging position and repeat for 12 counts in 2 sets.
5. Pinwheel Curl
This increases the size and corrects the imbalance of your upper arms. It also pumps up the outer head of the biceps. Do the pinwheel curl as a finishing routine after you have completed all the bicep exercises. Follow these steps.
- Get a pair of dumbbells and allow them to hang on each side of your body.
- Curl one arm in an arc motion across your body up to the shoulder. Hold for a few seconds and release.
- Repeat the same procedure on the other arm. Make 12 reps for 2 sets for each arm.
6. Preacher Curl
This is a best bicep workout that isolates the biceps and the rest of the arm muscles. It uses the back of the upper arm and the entire shoulder width for support. This can be done using a pair of dumbbells or a barbell. Try the steps below.
- Sit on a preacher bench and grab the weights. Place the back of the arm on the inclined pad.
- Slowly lift the weights up to the shoulder level. Do it alternately with dumbbells.
- Bring the weights down, fully extending the arms. Do this in 12 reps for 3 sets.
7. Hammer Curl
This basic workout should not be underestimated because it targets the main muscle that gives peak to the biceps. This is where other variations of bicep exercises came from. Try these steps to increase muscle girth.
- Grab a pair of dumbbells with your palms facing inwards.
- Lock your elbows at your sides. Slowly bring the dumbbells at a shoulder level and squeeze for 2 – 3 seconds.
- Bring them down together. Make 10 reps for 3 sets alternately.
8. Eccentric Curl
This is a variation of hammer curl that lengthens the biceps giving it shape and thickness. It involves flexing the elbow in a concentric movement allowing contraction when the arms are lowered down. This is how it is done.
- Start with your feet spread apart and your knees bent slightly.
- Hold the dumbbells at your sides and lock your elbows to your flanks.
- Lift the dumbbells up to your shoulders and stand up. Return to the bended position and repeat for 12 reps in 2- 3 sets.
9. Overhead Cable Curls
This unique exercise is also an isolation workout that uses cables to target biceps. It is also a concentration routine that builds nice muscle peaks as they increase in size. Here’s how to do it.
- Grab the cables and stand with your legs apart.
- Fully extend your arms and bring your hands to your shoulders until the maximum bicep contraction is reached.
- Slowly release and do this for 12 – 15 reps for 3 sets.
10. Split Jack Curl
This is a combination of cardio and bicep workout. It is recommended to use lighter weights when doing this exercise to get the best results. Moreover, this exercise requires endurance to jump faster while curling up the biceps. Here’s how to do it.
- Start by holding a pair of dumbbells and tuck your elbows to your sides.
- Jump with the left leg forward and curling the weights to your shoulders.
- Return to the original position then repeat with your right leg. Do at least 15 reps for 3 sets.
So these are the ten highly recommended exercises to get big biceps. The best bicep workout can only be effective if it is done properly and with dedication. Get ready to shape up and let us know which one suits you.